*sigh* Where do I begin? You all know I buy technology for a living and have a kinda *strange* personal relationship with my iPhone, and subsequently my iMac, so I really wanted to like the new iPad. However, looks like Nan will be taking a pass on the first gen iPad. To me it looks like Apple's version of the kindle - and if that is what Apple wanted to do? Than they succeeded. If I was a diligent book reader, I would buy the cheapest version in a heartbeat, but I am just not at this time. I guess I am way to old school - but I like flicking through pages on a hardcover. I don't know why - I just do. I can imagine this "missing link", as they call it, would be a good fit for travelers, but for someone who already has an iPhone? That will do for now.
I believe the following blogger really summed up the hype well. I love David Pogue of the NYT. He always gives the best reviews.
Here are some of my immediate concerns:
Name: I loathe the name. LOATHE it. Seriously. Did they EVEN ask any Apple fanGIRLS about this? I am thinking, no. Because if they did? They would have slapped that name down immediately. I do like the fact that the top searches on Twitter today were derivatives of this name. As one Twitter-er put it, It used to be Avatar was akin to Blue Smurfs in Dancings with Wolves, now we we have the IPAD. LOL. Oh the jokes about this name have had me laughing out loud. If you want to see them, please friend me on Twitter.
Data Plan Pricing: Data Plan (only) either $15 or $30.00 a month for 3G unlocked service. No contract commitment - hence that means you can switch providers, right? YES and NO. Currently the only service providers that offer the GSM SIMM card is ATT and TMobile. That be it folks. So your options at this time are not as available as you would like.
Product Price: Why is it so expensive? 1) Because it is not subsidized by the mobile carriers- if you had a contract, it would be cheaper but since ATT has unlocked the card, no contact, no cheapo pricing.
2) Apple quality control. Apple owns a lot of the suppliers that made the IPad. It helps them with controlling the leaks and ensuring quality is at it's best. It was annouced in the latest earnings call yesterday that they will not go below $400 for any type of tablet-like device. It is hard to compare a tablet vs. a netbook. It is also very hard to compare Apple vs. Windows PC's.
3) Apple pricing research.Okay if you know anything about pricing, they are making a profit. Do I believe the pricing is fair? Well let's think about this - why the heck are we paying more for the 3G access? One does not have to pay that right now with iphone - so what gives? Also if you have 3G access you pay a monthly fee. If Apple wanted to make this affordable? They should have made this a non-issue. However, network are having bandwidth issues - hence this is the reason *why* they went this way. If you have a limit on your dataplan - you will watch it like a hawk because no one wants to pay overage fees.
- Apple sure knows how to make the computers sexy.
- Can I say I like the case? I like the case man. That rocks.
- I *do* want to play with it. I *would* like to own it one day - but just not now. Maybe the next Gen?
- Apple specific software that is not compatable to the real office world. Sorry folks, but if you can't get Office Windows for Mac? It just won't help you in the business world.
- I can't carry this in my pocket. Purse yes? Pocket no.
- If one buys the high end iPad, you are about paying for a MacBook - spend
net-net- I still want to play with the iPad and I want to see which publishng houses drive to this because I do believe this will kick start the media industry - and that is A GOOD THING. I do believe this is a really cool iReader/net-bookish like tool - but one can't expect the world from it. It is basically a very extravegent extra that at this moment - I find it hard to replace my Iphone for.
What do you think of the new iPad? Like it? Not Like it? Let me know!